Wednesday 10 December 2008

What to do with Leftover Pineapple Rinds?

In my previous post I included a recipe for easy vegan pineapple rice that was served in a hollowed out pineapple. But after the rice was all gone, I began to wonder: what can I do with the rind that's leftover? It seemed such a shame to just throw it out. To google I went! After a few seconds I found that many people in the Caribbean use the pineapple rinds and core to make a pineapple infused drink. I picked out a recipe and tried it out that night. The result was a delicious fruity drink with just a hint of pineapple. Here is my process:

  1. Wash the pineapple rinds and cut into long strips.
  2. Place the rinds (and core if you still have it) into a large pot and fill it with enough water to cover the rinds.
  3. The recipe I used called for 1/2 - 3/4 of a pound of dark brown sugar, but I found that was way too much (the pineapple itself is quite sweet). When I make this drink again I am going to use only 1/2 cup of sugar. This will give people the option to add more sugar to their individual drink if they desire.
  4. Add your favourite spices. I used a few cinnamon sticks, a piece of fresh ginger, a dash of cloves, cardamom seeds, nutmeg and all spice (if I had some star anise I would have used that too).
  5. Bring the mixture to a boil.
  6. Reduce the heat and then simmer for 1 hour.
  7. Strain and reserve the liquid.
  8. I drank it hot, but you could chill it and serve it cold as well.
  9. The next day I put the rest of the drink into ice cube trays and froze them. You can use the cubes in drinks to add an extra spice to sodas, juices and waters.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Lawyer-ish Stuff:

All content, photographs, and text provided on this site are the property of Shanghai Monkey, unless otherwise specified, and cannot be reproduced in any form without permission of the author. All content is intended for personal use only and cannot be reproduced for sale.



© 2019 Shanghai Monkey. All rights reserved.

ShareThis