Thursday 8 January 2009

Vegan Lentil Soup


January is national soup month!  I didn't know this holiday existed, but now that I do, we must celebrate ... with a steaming hot bowl of vegan soup.

My favourite middle Eastern restaurant serves a chunky lentil soup and I love it so much I decided to attempt to copy it.  Here's what you'll need:
  • 1 can of lentils (drained) I like yellow, but any kind will work
  • 1 glove garlic (peeled)
  • 2 cups of vegetable stock
  • 1 red onion
  • Various spices (I like cumin & turmeric)
  • 1 avocado (optional)
If you like a chunky soup, reserve 1/3 of the lentils and set aside. Blend all the ingredients (except the onion and the avocado) in a food processor or blender. Chop the onion and saute in a pan until soft. Add the soup and the rest of the lentils to the pan and heat. I like to serve it with a few pieces of avocado in the soup. Add freshly ground pepper to taste.

Happy soup month everyone!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Lawyer-ish Stuff:

All content, photographs, and text provided on this site are the property of Shanghai Monkey, unless otherwise specified, and cannot be reproduced in any form without permission of the author. All content is intended for personal use only and cannot be reproduced for sale.



© 2019 Shanghai Monkey. All rights reserved.

ShareThis