Monday 9 February 2009

Vegan/Vegetarian Fast Food


Like most healthy eaters, I don't frequent fast food joints. I'd rather support small businesses who offer a variety of vegan and/or vegetarian options. But let's face it, sometimes there just isn't a lot of restaurant options when you're out and about. Case in point, tomorrow I'll be travelling on the highway, and I know there won't be any vegan cafes in any of the service stations. Below is a summary of my observations on this subject:

  • HARVEY'S - I didn't even know Harvey's offered a veggie burger until a few days ago. The sandwich itself is not bad, and they'll serve it on a whole wheat bun if you ask. You can also ditch the fries for salad in the combo.

  • KFC - After buckling under pressure from PETA, KFC now offers a simulated chicken sandwich at most of their Canadian restaurants. Great news for chickens everywhere!! However, not so great for those of us who eat their faux chicken sandwich. I thought it was quite bland (the bun was more palatable honestly), but I don't mind buying it if I'm in a pinch.

  • QUIZNO'S - I like their veggie sub because it has guacamole on it (a topping not found at most sub places). Ditch the mozzarella and it's vegan! They do offer a few soups, but none of the sales people seem to know if they contain an animal based broth, so I've never tried any of them. It's probably a better bet to purchase a sub on whole wheat.

  • STARBUCKS - Great place for a latte made with soymilk, however they are lacking big time on the food menu. The last time I visited this chain, the salesperson offered me an egg sandwich. She said she'd take the cheese off to make it vegan (eeeek!). I ended up getting a yummy Asian inspired cold noodle dish with sesame and edamame. I was pleasantly surprised by how delicious it was, but I'm not sure if it's available at other branches. Apparently they are offering oatmeal now as well, but I've yet to try it.

  • TIM HORTONS - Not my favourite place since the lines are always so long and they don't offer soymilk as an option for your coffee. However, in a pinch you can ask for a veggie sandwich on whole wheat. It's usually not on the menu, but they will make it for you if you ask. Ditch the cream cheese (they always give me a weird look) and it's vegan! The mushroom soup (not vegan) is pretty good as well. Make it a combo with a multi-grain bagel and it's enough to fill you up.

  • WILLIAMS Coffee Pub - I like their veggie panini, although its pre-made, so you can't opt out of the cheese. Their soup of the day is vegetarian sometimes. DO NOT purchase a green tea here (the worst tasting tea I've ever had)!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great info, thanks! I didn't know KFC even offered a vegetarian option. They should advertise it more. Great blog hun!!

Anju said...

Ya, I know. I don't think they WANT people to know about it. It sounds like KFC just wanted the Peta people off their back.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Lawyer-ish Stuff:

All content, photographs, and text provided on this site are the property of Shanghai Monkey, unless otherwise specified, and cannot be reproduced in any form without permission of the author. All content is intended for personal use only and cannot be reproduced for sale.



© 2019 Shanghai Monkey. All rights reserved.

ShareThis