Sunday 13 June 2010

Raw Vegan Sattvic Recipes Galore!

Hello raw food lovers! Here's what I've been chowing on for the past few days. Photos and recipes for 3 salads, 2 mains and 2 desserts. Enjoy!

Simple Diced Salad
 
  • 1 avocado, diced
  • 1/2 cucumber, diced
  • 1 tomato, diced
  • 1/2 bell pepper, diced
  • 1 carrot, julienned (odd one out!)
  • sprinkle of fresh thyme leaves
  • dash of sea salt (if desired)
Combine everything in a large bowl and toss with cold-pressed olive oil. Crunchy raw goodness!

Simple Shaved Salad
  Pretty much the same as above, but the carrot and cucumber are shaved. I love cutting up fresh raw veggies in different shapes, the different textures help break up the monotony of eating the same veggies everyday.

Raw Vegan Sattvic Cherry-Apple Salad



  • hearts of romaine lettuce, torn
  • large handful of cherries, pitted and halved
  • 1 apple (I used royal gala), cored and chopped
  • 1/2 lime
Combine everything in a large bowl. Give the lime a good squeeze over everything and serve. Great refreshing summer salad.

Raw Vegan Sattvic Thai Noodles (sauce recipe adapted from Love Veggies and Yoga blog)

I've been wanting to try this one for a while, and since I was almost finished my jar of MaraNatha raw almond butter (delicious raw nut butter by the way), I decided to try it out.


I only made one serving and didn't measure, so this recipe isn't exact - it's more of a guideline.
  • raw almond butter (a little bit left in the bottom of the jar is easiest)
  • freshly squeezed orange juice
  • maple syrup
  • cold-pressed sesame oil
  • pinch of ground ginger
Combine everything in the nut butter jar and stir until well combined.


I served the sauce over julienned zucchini, cucumber and carrot. To be honest I could have just eaten the sauce by itself. Yes, it's that good!! Definitely making this one again (& again!).

Raw Vegan Sattvic Chili (recipe adapted from gone raw)


  • 1 large tomato (or 2 small ones)
  • 1 avocado
  • 1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes, soaked until soft
  • handful of cilantro
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/4 sea salt
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • splash of lime juice
  • 1 small bell pepper, diced
  • 1 cob of corn, kernels shaved off
In a food processor, combine the tomato, half the avocado, sun dried tomatoes, cilantro, chili powder, cumin, salt, olive oil and lime. Blend until smooth and creamy. In a large bowl mix the diced bell pepper and corn (diced celery might be nice here too). Add the tomato puree to the bowl and mix well. Top with the other half of the avocado.

This recipe got rave reviews on gone raw, so I decided to see how it would taste if I made it sattvic (omitted the onion and decreased the chili powder). I like corn in my chili so I also added some fresh raw corn cut from the cob. The verdict? Sattvic heaven! The sauce was creamy with just a hint of spice and the corn gave it a yummy crunch. Check out this scrumptious spoonful:


Ani's Summer Berry Cobbler (recipe from Ani Phyo's Ani's Raw Food Kitchen)

This book never fails. I haven't been disappointed yet. For the recipe, check out page 214 of Ani's book. The recipe suggests using blueberries. I used strawberries for the syrup and whole fresh raspberries for the topping. The cobbler is made with a mixture of pumpkin seeds and almonds. This picture is just a single serving I made with some extra cobbler I had leftover. The recipe makes a full sized dessert.

Sweet Potato Dream Pudding (recipe from Spark Recipes)


  • 1 sweet potato, peeled and grated
  • few drops of vanilla extract
  • dash cinnamon
  • 1 tablespoons coconut oil
  • 3-4 handfuls of raisins or dates
Peel and grate the sweet potato. Combine everything in the food processor and blend well. For a smoother texture transfer to the blender and mix. Chill in the fridge for a few hours. To make it look pretty I sprinkled some shredded coconut on top and added a cherry.

This one is okay, but I definitely won't be making it again. Mine didn't look anything like the pudding in the picture. It tasted okay, but for all the effort in peeling and grating the sweet potato and then having to use both my food processor and blender, the end result just wasn't worth it. The pudding was sweet, but 2 tablespoons of coconut oil was way too much, and the coconut taste was overpowering.

If you've made it to the end of this post, thanks for stopping by my blog and happy uncooking ...

5 comments:

Frazer said...

so great to see someone else promoting sattvic vegan.

thank you

Frazer said...

So wonderful to see some one else promoting sattvic vegan food. Please get in touch.

Anju said...

Thanks for the blog love, Frazer. I do have some rajasic recipes on the blog (from before my yoga training days), but since then I have ONLY posted my pure sattvic creations. It really does make a noticeable difference for meditation. ^_^

Frazer said...

It is so rare to find another vocal sattvic vegan. If you ever come to Australia please visit our sanctuary:

https://www.facebook.com/EdenSanctuaryAdelaide

Anju said...

Looks like a great place to live and learn!! I will definitely keep it in mind if I, or other like minded friends are going down under ;)

Good luck on your journey of peace.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Lawyer-ish Stuff:

All content, photographs, and text provided on this site are the property of Shanghai Monkey, unless otherwise specified, and cannot be reproduced in any form without permission of the author. All content is intended for personal use only and cannot be reproduced for sale.



© 2019 Shanghai Monkey. All rights reserved.

ShareThis