Thursday 21 July 2011

Raw Chai Cookies (nut-free)

Remember my raw, vegan & sattvic chai spiced chia pudding?  I promised to provide you with another Indian spiced recipe, and here it is (a promise is a promise after all)!

In India they have masala cookies, not raw, probably not vegan and definitely not sattvic (lots of hot spices, onion & garlic).  But I tried them anyway :)  They pack quite a punch, but so do my raw version and I like them better anyway.

Inspired by my trip to India, when I got back home I decided to experiment in the kitchen and see what I could whip up.  I'm getting a lot more adventurous now, but unfortunately I don't remember any of the measurements I used (sorry!).  Like all the recipes I feature on my site these cookies are super easy to make and use only simple ingredients.  You'll need a food processor for this one.

Raw Chai Cookies (sattvic)

  • uncooked oats (not the quick cooking kind)
  • raisins, soaked until plump
  • freshly ground spices : cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, nutmeg, star anise
In the food processor blend some oats until it becomes a fine powder.  Scrap the sides and add in the spices.  If you have a spice grinder, freshly ground spices will make these cookies taste divine.  If not, pre-ground spices will work too.  Pulse to combine the spices with the oats.  Then with the food processor running, add the raisins until the mixture begins to form balls.  The dough should stick together when you squeeze it in your hand.  

The raisins are enough sweetener for me, but at this point you can taste the dough and if you'd like it more sweet you can add in some raw sweetener such as agave, stevia or honey. This was definitely a sampling kind of recipe for me.  I kept tasting the dough as I went along and adding what I thought it needed to taste nice.  I used much more cinnamon than the other spices.  I used just a little of the nutmeg.

When you're happy with the dough, roll into balls and they are ready to consume.  Store in the fridge ... but I'm sure you already knew that.  This isn't rocket science, it's raw cookie balls!

Kind of reminds me of the raw pecan pie cookies I made a few years ago (Ani Phyo's recipe).  My raw chai cookies are nut free.  Oats are also less expensive than pecans, which is nice if you're making a big batch.
And of course the plethora of raw vegan & sattvic donut holes too!  Lots of good recipes and photos to drool over in that post!!


Now get out your food processor and make some raw cookies!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Lawyer-ish Stuff:

All content, photographs, and text provided on this site are the property of Shanghai Monkey, unless otherwise specified, and cannot be reproduced in any form without permission of the author. All content is intended for personal use only and cannot be reproduced for sale.



© 2019 Shanghai Monkey. All rights reserved.

ShareThis