Tuesday 16 August 2011

Travel Sewing Kit UPDATE

I know you've all been kept up at night wondering how I decorated the cover of my travel sewing kit that I made a few months ago for my trip to India.  So here is the final reveal:



I had an afternoon off from teaching, so I grabbed my sewing kit, a needle and some embroidery thread, and headed for my favourite mango tree (it was my favourite because there were 2 hammocks hanging there).  Darn I should have taken a picture of it!


First I started embroidering the lettering.  I used a straight stitch with gaps to give it that sewing kind of look.  I brought a lot of embroidery thread with me on that trip, but unfortunately this was the only embroidery I did.  Not enough hours in the day ...

But I didn't want to just leave it plain like that.  So I used a pattern from Bugs and Fishes' book Super-cute Felt for the spool of thread (tons of cute felt projects in there by the way).


All that embroidering left quite a mess of stitches and knots on the back of the cover.  So I decided to use a bit more felt to cover it all up.  I used this piece of felt with a heart attached.  The heart encases my favourite sewing needle (yes, I have favourites).


Then I added some co-ordinating ribbon to each flap to keep my kit closed.

If you missed my tutorial on how to make your own sewing kit, check it out here.


It's much easier to make than you may think, and allows you to have all your crafty supplies with you when you travel.  I'm sure glad that I had this kit with me because shortly after arriving at the airport the zipper pull came off my carry on bag.  It just zzzzzzzzzzipped right off the end of the zipper.  I used the big safety pin in this kit to secure the end of the zipper, so it wouldn't fall off for the rest of my 30+ hour journey to India (layover in Abu Dhabi).


This would make a cute gift too for that world traveller in your life.

2 comments:

Linda aka Crafty Gardener said...

Cute travel sewing kit and a must for all that travel. I'm visiting from Sew Darn Crafty

Anju said...

Thanks for your kind comment, Linda. I am glad that I posted to Sew Darn Crafty's linky party this week!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Lawyer-ish Stuff:

All content, photographs, and text provided on this site are the property of Shanghai Monkey, unless otherwise specified, and cannot be reproduced in any form without permission of the author. All content is intended for personal use only and cannot be reproduced for sale.



© 2019 Shanghai Monkey. All rights reserved.

ShareThis